A little touch of Spain ~ Habas a la Catalana
Sausage & Broad Bean Casserole
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 kg cabanossi etc cut into 3cm pieces
1 large onion, thinly sliced and pushed out into rings
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g cooked broad beans
425g canned peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon very finely chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
2. When the oil is hot, add the sausages and
3. Cook, stirring and turning them frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
4. With a slotted spoon, remove the sausages from the pan and
5. Set them aside.
6. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and
7. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is soft and
8. Translucent but not brown.
9. Return the sausages to the pan.
10. Stir in the beans, tomatoes with their can juice, the mint, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
11. Bring the mixture to the boil,
12. Reduce the heat to low and
13. Cover the pan.
14. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
15. Remove the pan from the heat.
16. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
17. Turn the mixture into a warmed serving dish and
18. Serve immediately.